Many of us can’t picture exactly what parcels go through from leaving the pick-up location until reaching the destination. Usually parcels go through multiple stages of delivery and storage. Therefore, it is crucial to know how to pack your parcel well, especially when it is fragile. In today’s blog we cover the most important tips for sending fragile items.
Choose the right box
It is key to choose the right box for sending your fragile items safely. The criteria of the right box are the following:
- Box is slightly bigger than an item that will be sent
- Box is made out of cоrrugаted cardbоard
- Box is lightweight
- Box has the relevant marking, for example:
- Handle With Care
- This Way Up
Place the package content correctly
Placing of the items within the box is also a key factor of sending fragile items. There are 2 main approaches of doing it:
- If you are sending a single item in a box, make sure that it is placed in the middle of the box, instead of placing it in one of the corners
- If you are sending more than one item in a box, make sure that you use partitions for the box and pack each item separately first
Fill in the box
Arguably the most important step of sending fragile items is filling the box in order to support the item, prevent the content from moving inside the box and save the box from collapsing. Here is what you should use:
- For items that easily break it is always a good idea to use bubble wrap, paper bubbles, foam peanuts or other reinforcements of this sort.
- For fragile items it is a good idea to reinforce the inner falls of the box with second and even third sheet of cardboard.
- If you see that your box might still tear apart, it is a good idea to reinforce the edges of the box with a strong tape
Mark the box correctly
Very important step of sending fragile items is to make the couriers aware that the parcel is fragile and needs to be handled with care. In order to do that it is good to use box markers, such as:
- Fragile – to highlight it you can use the tape with text “FRAGILE” or put a sticker on the box highlighting the same thing
- Handle With Care – to highlight it you can put a sticker on the box with text “HANDLE WITH CARE”
- This Way Up – to highlight it you can put a sticker on the box with text “THIS WAY UP”
Insure your parcel
Another important tip for sending fragile items is to choose the parcel delivery company that offers parcel insurance. When choosing insurance:
- Read the terms and conditions in order to make sure that the insurance has coverage for fragile items
- Choose the plan based on the value of your parcel content
If you like our blog entries consider subscribing to our newsletter and Facebook Page.